Welcome Guest
« Go to Spyware Terminator Homepage Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register
SpywareTerminator 2012 - everything to make the program worse Options · View
George Yves
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 5:55:26 AM

Groups: Member

Yesterday I installed SpywareTerminator 2012 (v.3.0.043) and decided that the developers had made everything to make the program worse.
  1. They added an antivirus for ST Premium. Why? Users use regular full-featured antiviruses to catch viruses and they don't need another one. So, soon we'll see many incompatibility reports: ST isn't a full-featured antivirus and it will only mess with regular antiviruses.
  2. They suggest "additional tools to protect your computer". Why? These tools are mainly third-party software and some of them from sights with very poor ratings from Web of Trust (WOT) in Firefox. These tools are excessive for an anti-spyware or an antivirus program.
  3. They made a nag-screen suggesting to buy ST Premium. Well, but they didn't place there the option not to show the nag-screen any more. So, is ST Free freeware or nagware now?
  4. They changed the program's icons. Why? The desktop icon suits only for desktops with dark wallpapers; the tray icons look like two ugly  bluish and whitish spots with uneven borders.
It seems that somebody tries to make nagware, adware and bloatware out of good freeware.

May the FOSS be with you!
Wil4dfire
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 8:00:49 AM

I haven't yet installed the 2012 version (given that the MD5 hash of the downloaded file does not match the one given by the site itself). However, as you describe it the new version seems to be more like an actual spyware/adware application itself. If so, that's an absolute shame.
George Yves
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 12:43:49 PM

Some words about some additional tools in ST 2012.

1. Unstable Browser Add-on Scanner (for ST Premium only). This tool should check "your browser" for add-ons that can slow down "your browser" performance. But what browsers are supported? What are the points that allow to take decisions on the problem? And why an anti-spyware program messes with browsers' performance?
  2. Startup Tuner (for ST Premium only). It should boost your computer startup speed. Why an anti-spyware program messes with startup tuning? There are a lot of (even freeware) software to tune up your computer and why should I pay for it?
  3. PC Optimizer. It should improve your system performance. Why should I install a third-party software from the site with low WOT ratings? Could I trust that software?
  4. Online Vault. It should back up your files online. But am I crazy? To back up files online is the same as to shout: "Hey, boys! Hack the server and steal my sensitive data, all my logins and passwords, all information about my credit cards and personal e-mail, etc."
  5. System Restore. Hey, and what about Windows itself? Why should I use this tool? Windows can do it without any third-party help. By the way, disk imaging software can do this work much better.
Five tools out of ten are unnecessary or suspicious! Why are they added to SpywareTerminator? Just to make ST looks as tough as Rambo?

HOODY
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:09:17 PM

Just installed this 3 over my 2.8 myself, was wondering about the free thing myself, so did the prograsm go to a paid version with this update? and what is the real differance between ther free and the paid?

Maybe I should go back to 2.8

George Yves
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 8:15:00 AM

HOODY wrote:
and what is the real differance between ther free and the paid?

As I understand if you buy a license for ST Premium, you will be able to:
  1. get upgrades directly from ST servers (in the free version updates are possible only on client-to-client basis)
  2. get antivirus protection
  3. get some of the additional tools
  4. get advanced technical support

cham
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 8:52:00 AM

Groups: Administration, Beta, Member, Threat Analyzer

Quote:
They added an antivirus for ST Premium. Why? Users use regular full-featured antiviruses to catch viruses and they don't need another one. So, soon we'll see many incompatibility reports: ST isn't a full-featured antivirus and it will only mess with regular antiviruses.

F-prot is full-featured antivirus. Spyware Terminator with F-Prot integration can be used as full-featured antivirus.
If someone is using other full-featured antivirus, you can integrate F-Prote just to on-demand scan and you can be sure that there won't be a conflict. If you are little bit paranoid person :) You can integrate F-Prot also in real-time protection. However this is not generally recommended, we tested ST together with most popular AV's and we didn't find any serious issues (Please not that there will be always higher demands on your system => doing this will cause little slowdown)

Quote:
They suggest "additional tools to protect your computer". Why? These tools are mainly third-party software and some of them from sights with very poor ratings from Web of Trust (WOT) in Firefox. These tools are excessive for an anti-spyware or an antivirus program.

There are no third-party tools. Our paid registry cleaner don't have good WOT rating, but you can't do anything with untrue reviews like "rogue software, do not install..", even if it is not true..It is a regular paid application. I looked also on other paid registry registry cleaner and almost all of them had terrible WOT rating even they are regular applications..

Quote:
System Restore. Hey, and what about Windows itself? Why should I use this tool? Windows can do it without any third-party help. By the way, disk imaging software can do this work much better.

Did you ever tried to click on it? This tool is in ST from beginning. It only runs Windows System restore..

Quote:
hey made a nag-screen suggesting to buy ST Premium. Well, but they didn't place there the option not to show the nag-screen any more. So, is ST Free freeware or nagware now?

Sorry about that, this will be fixed soon.(hope in next version)

Quote:
They changed the program's icons. Why? The desktop icon suits only for desktops with dark wallpapers; the tray icons look like two ugly bluish and whitish spots with uneven borders.

Then please post a screenshot of the ugly borders.

George you obviosly don't like ST premium, nobody is forcing you to use it :) Stay with free version if you want. Or if you don't even like free version you don't have to use it either...
George Yves
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 9:42:37 AM

Quote:
George you obviosly don't like ST premium, nobody is forcing you to use it :) Stay with free version if you want.

You are wrong. I neither like nor dislike ST Premium. I continue to use ST (now - Free Version) and don't buy Premium because my system is already protected by a good antivirus and I use other good software instead of ST's additional tools. If you re-read my posts, you'll see that I critisize the choice of additional tools, the nag-screens and the icons. I have already told everybody my opinion on the tools, you have answered about the nag-screens and here is the screenshot of the tray icons:

The icons are too pale, the shields are not similar, their bottoms are distorted and you can see the white cross only if look closely to the screen. BTW, why did you choose to make the cross white? Why didn't you make it green or dark blue?

freefighter
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 12:28:52 PM

Groups: Beta, Member

Hello,

my opinion is the follwing:

ST should be released in two versions:

- the latest ST Premium version which lets the user decide wether he wants to buy the optional Antivirus and third party tools
- a pure ST antispyware version without the nag screens and non functional premium feature buttons. Optional integration of Clam AV/Win would be great.

A lot of users (including me) have used ST because of the integration of the  free and open source Clam antivirus tool. Now ST is "only" a further reduced protection solution with optional features (for money) like many others on the market. For me there is no real ambition to use it any longer. I will wait for the final release of Spybot Search & Destroy. Even the latest beta does a good job so far.

Regards

freefighter
Brocke
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 1:05:00 PM

Groups: Beta, Member, Threat Analyzer

Yes there needs to be a two version that is not striped down.  I agree freefighter
lsy_1997
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 10:41:52 AM

Like freefighter, my favourite feature was the free and open source antivirus, although I'm not particularly bothered about which company it is from. My computer has recently been damaged, so I am now using my old backup computer, and I installed Spyware Terminator on it. However, I was disappointed at the new version 3. While the antivirus scanner is definitely superior, my favourite feature was taken away from me. Now it seems vastly superior to the previous version, and  I hope that they will add the free antivirus scanner back to the free version, but make it optional like before.
cham
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 4:14:58 AM

There were lots of problems with clamAV antivirus - frequent false positive detection + they were changing the engine very often and we can't still working on compatibility with it..

You can continue using version 2 if you want clamAV integration, database updates are still available..
Tupilak#1
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:23:34 PM

I also dont like the new ST 2012 version. It has become a nagware product. I have uninstalled ST and hoping for another version without the crapware I already have for free. I will be monitoring the development of ST but I wont install it again untill there is another version where it doesn't give me a sense of insecurity (although it is only psychological effect).
XANA
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 4:40:41 PM

Groups: Beta, Member, Translator

With this latest version becoming more and more non-freeware, I am sure glad ST can't autoupdate the program itself (unlike some software I know).

I say "no thank you", I will be sticking with this totally free version 2, since version 3 doesn't seem to be totally, completely, absolutely free anymore.

I kind of figured it'd happen eventually, however, and am sad it has now, but that's the way things go, I guess. :(

I will post my email security subscriptions here, but only if they are interesting.
I'm in college now, but I'll try to come around every once in a while.

Dell Inspiron 5720
-Windows 7 Home Premium
-Quad Core 2.50GHz Processors
-8GB RAM
-1TB Harddrive

--My Own Safety Awareness :)
--Comodo Anitvirus
--Spybot SD2
--Comodo Firewall
--Toolwiz TimeFreeze
--Soluto
--Software Informer
--User Account Control
--Firefox / Opera
--University VPN Service
--K9 Web Protection
--SpywareBlaster
--NoAutorun
--TrendMicro RUBotted
--IOBit SmartDefrag2
--TuneUp Utilities 2012
--Trusteer Rapport
--Windows Update (Linked to University Update Server)

Spanish <-> English Translator / BETA Tester / Spanish Forum's Problem Solver (Translating Stopped, Other Tasks Still Ongoing.)
(I used to work with Idd00jea on this; he has been gone for some time now, if there is something you need you can ask me or I can try to get in touch with him).
Brocke
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 3:33:31 PM

I agree XANA,

Its just kinda crappy.

David-110527
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2011 8:05:59 AM

Do any extra tools get installed or run that are listed on the "2012 / Tools" page if I don't click on an item in that page?
I don't see a nagware issue.
Am I missing something, and don't understand the issues reported with these optional tools and nagware?

I've been using ST 2012 for several days now - no problems on my Win7 PCs.
Everything is working very well... THANKS to ST team!
It doesn't bother me that the Tools page is there, I don't want the tools so I just ignore the page...

ty
Mimo
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 3:07:20 AM

Groups: Administration

Hi, there are 4 tools free. After clicking on paid tools, you can see the screen wanted to buy a paid version...
MacPeter
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 7:52:48 PM

Groups: Beta, Member, Translator

Hi everybody,

I never had any  problems  with ClamAv...despite my use of Antivir.... I simply  made them work together.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

WinPatrol 30.5.2014.0

Kaspersky Security Suite 2014

SUPERAntispyware

MBAM 2.01

Emco

Spyware Termainator 3.0.0.82

8 GB RAM
rajeshontheweb
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 5:05:24 AM

I have been off lately, just came back to this world, i had to drop back owing to hectic schedule at the office, still i wanted to try out this new product,

having returned back after a while, would say these

> the new version is good in few ways more than one - looks stable and fast on the first look.
> didnt ask me to install the web security guard toolbar - hope it hasnt sneaked in  - it hasnt showed up in the add remove programs listing - i assume its off now (though the website says it is still there - will post something when i find it ...)
> of course, i am very dejected to see clamav stirpped off - very sad... despite the overload on ram when u use clamav on scans, there were no issues with clamav. though we were aware ST wont go open source, didnt expect ClamAV integration would be withdrawn....
> nag screen- hmmm wouldnt blame ST - we did suggest earlier ST could opt for a premium version in case of monetary needs be fulfilled.. afterall its a good job keeping this software free. but the third party tools - i wouldnt feel the need of all these. there were a few suggestions earlier, but having not tried out the premium version, i shouldnt comment whether it is good or not..
> to be frank, i am happy to see one thing - atleast the third party tools have been kept optional on premium upgrade - specially ST free version has been left alone - thats good enough.  with version 2 onwards this WSG integration used to be a big bug. i had posted a lot of times asking for the updater and other couple of issues, specailly people who tend to click next on installations, we had an issue them ending up installing wsg which i didnt really want. 

> i do wish to say ST 3 does look like crippleware but wil post more i have just started it today, will check how hungry it is on resources. and whether i would be able to recommend it to my mates like the pre 2.0 ages.

Secret of success: Accepting failure, but as the next ladder step towards your goal.

I have opened up a forum for general software issues Visit my forums
cham
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 5:25:38 PM

Hi rajeshontheweb,
Quote:
...third party tools...

All ST tools are developed by us, no 3rd party :)
rajeshontheweb
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 1:33:39 AM

> nag screen - after a couple of days of use, i did see the nag screen which is troublesome. - as i said before, i might understand that being there, but would very much like to get rid of it.. just like in avira antivir which pops up the nag screen every time update is successful!,...

> third party tools -  i do agree all these are crawler products. but i am happy they have been kept optional for premium version just as discussed earlier ... thx.

> i havent had wsg pestering me yet. i am happy about it so far.

> i would still say i still miss clamav being a part of it... coz immunet isnt requried along side windows security essentials, i got rid of it now i am using clamwin because ST wouldnt give me the option any more  Sad

Secret of success: Accepting failure, but as the next ladder step towards your goal.

I have opened up a forum for general software issues Visit my forums